People are often the most generous during the holiday season, with nearly one third of all charitable giving taking place in December. While this month many of us will be donating to our favorite charities, if you’re interested in donating locally, many community groups are making it easy to participate in toy and clothing drives to give back to those in need.
Below are some of the local charity drives taking place in December:
• This month, Runway Playa Vista has designated Safe Place for Youth (SPY), Children’s Hospital of LA and LA Animal Shelters as “Season of Giving” partners. Stop by the shopping center on Friday, December 8 from 5 to 8 p.m. to drop off new or gently used warm clothing for SPY. On Friday, December 15 from 5 to 9 p.m., $1 from every beer purchased during the center’s “Beer & Cheer” event will be donated to Children’s Hospital of LA. On Friday, December 22 from 5 to 8 p.m., visitors can donate gently used or new blankets for the LA Animal Shelter.
Runway Playa Vista is located at 12746 W. Jefferson Blvd. in Playa Vista. For more info, visit facebook.com/RunwayPlayaVista.
• Just a stone’s throw away from Westchester, St. Margaret’s Center is collecting toys for its annual Christmas program. Every year, the center distributes thousands of toys to children in need. Locally, there are two drop off locations. Head to Toe Salon, located at 6310 W. 89th St. in Westchester, is collecting toys through December 10 during regular business hours. Miss Haircut Salon, located at 8733 La Tijera Blvd. in Westchester, is collecting toys through noon on Friday, December 15. Toys can be dropped off Wednesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Interested in donating online? Visit amazon.com, choose “Find a List or Registry,” type in St. Margaret’s Center and browse their wish list. Purchased items will be sent directly to the center. St. Margaret’s Christmas Program will take place on Saturday, December 16 at Lennox Middle School.
For more questions or to arrange a pick-up, please call Terry at (310) 994-9904.
• Councilmember Mike Bonin’s office is collecting items for the Westside Winter Shelter Program. Items needed include toiletries, clothing for men and women, coffee, books, magazines, board games, cleaning items and first aid kits. Items can be dropped off at the CD11 Westchester office, located at 7166 W. Manchester Ave. in Westchester.
• Local nonprofit Sore Feet Saviors is accepting donations for their “Christmas of Hope Celebration” for homeless and low income families they encounter through their Emergency Outreach Program. They offer the following giving opportunities during the holiday season:
- Sponsor a child for $99 tax deductible donation
- Buy a toy from our Wishlist for a child
- Donate a prepared food item for the holiday meal at their celebration
- Volunteer to wrap presents and decorate our event space
Holding a toy or collection drive for the holidays? Email us at email@example.com to be added to the list.