Music, Art & Community Combine at Westchester’s All-Day Block Party
Enjoy the last weekend of summer by heading down to Emerson Avenue for one of the community’s most popular family-friendly events—the Westchester Arts and Music Block Party (WAM)! Featuring more than a dozen musical acts, food trucks, kids activities, community booths, a beer & wine garden and more, the event is a chance for an all-day hang-out session with friends you bring with you, and people you meet along the way.
“We’re stoked for this year’s event,” said event producer John Sharpe. “We have some great music and entertainment acts lined up, a bunch of great food options and the best beer & wine garden around! Make sure you don’t miss out. You’re bound to run into your friends and neighbors, whether you’re rocking out to a band or doing arts & crafts with your kids. The event is all about celebrating our community and supporting the Emerson Avenue Community Garden, and in our fourth year, we’re thrilled that WAM is becoming a Westchester tradition.”
Whether you plan on hanging in the beer garden all day, walking over to hear a band or are working at one of the community booths, here’s the scoop for this year’s WAM:
1. There’s more entertainment planned for this year. Organizers have added a second stage to accommodate more community acts. The Main Stage will be located at the south end of the event and will feature groups like RAINNE, Rose’s Pawn Shop, Trapdoor Social and Top Shelf Brass Band. On the Community Stage, check out performances from the Westchester Lariats and local bands The Praties and The Wayback Daddies. For the day’s full lineup, visit wamblockparty.org.
2. Families can enjoy activities in the garden. Head to the garden area of the festival from noon to 5 p.m. for crafts and activities for all ages. On the schedule are painting plant pots, balloon creations, chalk board art, face painting, bubbles, a water balloon toss and more.
3. The event has new hours. Organizers have scheduled WAM for Saturday, September 21 from noon to 8 p.m.
4. Bring your water bottle. WAM is looking to be more eco-friendly and will have a water station for you to fill up your bottles, courtesy of local real estate agent, Nanci Edwards.
5. Bring your ID and credit cards for food and drinks. The beer & wine garden, featuring drinks from Firestone Walker and Sweetzer Cellars, opens at noon and is open throughout the event. Drinks are $7 each or 3 for $18. You can also add a donation to your purchase to support the Emerson Avenue Community Garden. Food trucks including Cousin’s Maine Lobster, The Tropic Truck, Atomic Coffee and Baby’s Badass Burgers, will be serving up lunch, dinner and snacks.
6. Childcare is available. Looking to hang out in the 21 and older beer garden? Sign-up for free childcare courtesy of Westchester Parents Nursery School. Children, ages 2-10, are welcome to play for a maximum of two hours. The first hour of care will be provided free of charge by the staff. Each additional half hour of care will be $5. Space is limited, so RSVP ASAP at wpns.org/events/wam-block-party-childcare.
7. WAM is a fundraiser. WAM raises money for the nonprofit Emerson Avenue Community Garden located on the campus of Wright STEAM Magnet and WISH. The 100 percent volunteer run green space, with garden plots, is used for education, an organic garden and community building. They’re currently looking to raise $150,000 for capital improvements to bring the space into ADA compliance, create walking paths, add seating areas and enhance lighting, among other things.
8. Don’t forget to check out the vendors and community booths. Peruse the vendors to view arts and crafts for sale, including the popular interactive silk scarf booth. Community groups, schools and sponsors will also be hosting booths with fun activities, so make sure you stop on by to say “hi!” Chances are you’ll know some of the people volunteering at the tables!
9. Questions at the event? Ask a volunteer with a WAM lanyard, and they’ll be able to point you in the right direction!
WAM will take place on Saturday, September 21 from noon to 8 p.m. on Emerson Ave. between 80th Pl. and 80th St. in Westchester. The street will be closed during the event. For more info, please visit wamblockparty.org.
Posted September 2019.