Let’s Light up Westchester/Playa!
When the Westchester Mental Health Guild had to cancel their biggest fundraiser of the year, the annual Holiday Home Tour, the HomeTown News connected with them to share an idea. What if this year they hosted a Holiday Light Tour and Contest instead where they could encourage the community to go big with decorations and shared a map of the locations with the neighborhood? Guild President Linda Peterson and Fundraising Chair Janie Guthrie loved the idea and quickly got to work to make the event happen!
Twenty-three homes and a church participated in the contest and wowed the nearly 850 spectators who drove through Westchester and Playa del Rey to view thousands of lights, tons of giant inflatables, waving Santas and even snow! While every location on the map brought smiles to those who drove by, longtime Guild supporters Jane St. John, RE/MAX; Nancy Edwards, AMCS board member and the HomeTown News had the difficult task of selecting this year’s first, second and third place winners, as well as two honorable mentions and a Best Block Teamwork award.
Congratulations to this year’s winners! Thank you for bringing the magic of the season to Westchester/Playa!
1. First Place Winner: The Milligan family, Westchester, for their giant inflatable display
2. Second Place Winner: Jon and Tina Vanderjagt, Westchester, for their neon light display
3. Third Place Winner: Jon and Maria Koenig, Westchester, for their rocking Santa display
4. Honorable Mentions: The Reed family, Playa del Rey, for their Reindeer in Here and friends display | Roger Gleckman, Playa del Rey, for his twinkling light display (not pictured)
5. Best Block Teamwork: Nardian Way neighbors, Westchester (Katie Rampen, Ernst Rampen and George Ronay pictured) for their multi-house and overhead lights display
Check out a video of the winning locations lit up at facebook.com/thehtn.
Posted January 2021.
Photos by Zsuzsi Steiner.