Exciting changes are coming to Paseo del Rey Natural Science Magnet, Playa del Rey’s only public elementary school.
The school recently welcomed new principal Dr. Colette Boston, and starting in the 2022-2023 school year, Paseo will not only transition to being a residential, community school, but it will also offer a Spanish Dual Language Program!
The three instructional programs the school will offer include:
• Residential Spanish Dual Language Program: This Spanish language residential program will begin with transitional kindergarten and kindergarten students. Parents may complete an application at apply.lausd.net.
• Residential Program: This program is designed for residents in Playa del Rey and the surrounding communities. Parents may complete an application in the main office for students who will be in grades TK, kindergarten and first grade in the 2022-2023 school year. This program does not offer transportation.
• Residential Magnet Program: Paseo’s residential natural science magnet will be open to students in grades 2-5. Transportation will be offered, if needed, and parents may apply at: echoices.lausd.net.
Paseo del Rey Natural Science Magnet, home of Stingrays, first opened its doors in 1962 as a small, neighborhood school. During its nearly 60 years of serving the community, the school has gained a reputation for promoting a strong learning community and family atmosphere. Paseo is a campus rich with a diverse student body, highly committed and skilled teachers and a rigorous curriculum. The relationship among teachers, families, students and their community partners allows them to attend to each student’s academic and social needs, says Boston.
Paseo prides itself on its deep commitment to natural science, its Writer’s Workshop, and Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) in mathematics. Instruction is tailored to the student’s level, and teachers regularly conference with students during reading, writing and math to determine what their next steps are and how to appropriately challenge students. Paseo teachers are highly trained and committed to cutting-edge curriculum and pedagogy. Many have earned advanced degrees and are Costen Fellows and National Board Certified. The school’s partnership with Loyola Marymount University (LMU) allows their student teachers to learn from Paseo’s highly effective teachers.
Paseo del Rey also offers a variety of enrichment programs to ensure their students are prepared for the 21st century. Some of their programs include:
• Planet Bravo: Students receive weekly instruction in technology, based on the National Educational Technology Standards, which they incorporate into classroom projects.
• Writers Workshop: Teachers engage in classroom lab demonstration days, debrief by looking at student work, plan and set a professional goal for the week. Students learn how to become better writers, choosing their own topics within a genre.
• CGI Mathematics Instruction: Students are presented with different types of story math problems to solve and justify their reasoning. The role of the teacher is to observe students’ strategies in deriving an answer and posing questions to guide their mathematical thinking.
• Dedicated Science Lab: Paseo has a dedicated science lab for all students with a lab assistant that supports the teachers’ hand-on science instruction based on the Next Generation Science Standards.
• Musical Instruments and Orchestra: The school currently offers instruction on a variety of musical instruments, including the violin, flute and saxophone.
• Dance: The school’s talented dance teacher provides instruction in techniques and traditional dances from the cultures of our diverse student population.
• Garden: Students have access to an extensive garden where they engage in science experiments, learn about the environment and observe nature.
Interested in learning more about Paseo? Dr. Boston adds that the school community is always enthusiastic about sharing information about Paseo del Rey! To learn more and explore the school’s upcoming new offerings, the community is invited to attend any of the 2022 virtual school tours:
• January 11 at 6:30 p.m.
• February 11 at 6:30 p.m.
• March 15 at 6:30 p.m.
• April 12 at 6:30 p.m.
• May 10 at 6:30 p.m.
RSVP at paseomagnet-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com or contact Dr. Boston at (310) 823-2356.
Pictured at top: Dr. Boston poses in front of one of Paseo’s murals.
Posted December 2021.