The Westchester/Playa area is home to some great public art from murals on buildings to giant statues, and more art will be added soon with the second round of the Utility Box Art Project! Late last year, nine colorful mini murals were painted throughout the area and now the Westchester/Playa Art Committee is calling all artists who are interested in using their talent to help beautify the neighborhood to apply. Applications can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and are due by October 1.
In the meantime, here’s a look at some of our favorite public art installations in the area:
1. “BFF” statue by KAWS surrounded by artwork created by street artist Kenny Scharf. The installation is located at Bluff Creek Dr. and S. Campus Center Dr. in Playa Vista.
2. “Melting Man” by Jawsh Smyth, located at La Tijera Blvd. and Sepulveda Westway in Westchester.
3 & 8. The “You are Beautiful” mural by Aly Kourouma recently added four more community members: John and Gail Ruhlen and Alan and Mary Ellen Cassman. The mural is located in the Westchester Village shopping center.
4. “Landmarks of Westchester” by David Russell and Otis College students. The three-part mural is located on Sepulveda Blvd. at 87th St. in Westchester.
5. “Downtown Playa” by Charlie Carroll, John Park and Aaron Rosenstock. The mural is located on the building at 323 Culver Blvd. in PDR.
6. “Welcome to Westchester” mural by David Russell and “You are Beautiful “mural by Aly Kourouma. The murals are located in the Westchester Village shopping center on Sepulveda Blvd. in Westchester.
7. “Koi Fish” by Terry Godot-Kelly, located on Manchester Blvd. at Emerson Ave. in Westchester.
Posted September 2020.