If you haven’t had a chance to head over to Runway Playa Vista lately, you might be shocked–and delighted–by what you find in this urban oasis. Although this last piece of Playa Vista’s live, work, play vision has long been anticipated, the lifestyle center has finally developed into a thriving destination where people can get a cup of coffee, admire the public art, shop and meet up with friends and business associates for a meal.
Next time you’re driving down Jefferson Boulevard, consider turning on Village Drive and parking in the large (and currently free) parking structure to see what Runway is all about.
We recently took a stroll through the area, which includes 217,000 square feet of retail space, 420 apartments and 33,000 square feet of office space, to explore the new offerings in this one-stop locale for dining, shopping, entertainment and beauty. Below are some of our favorite things we found:
1. Varnish Lab. Varnish Lab, which opened in February, is a new concept in nail salons that takes a serious and scientific approach to nail care with the goal of offering customized service with an emphasis on cleanliness.
The salon, with its pop art displays and receptionist area that can turn into a DJ booth for after hours parties and events, offers a wide-range of nail polishes and products, including the organic and vegan SpaRitual line. With cleanliness as a top priority, mobile pedicure bowls are cleaned and sanitized for each client and all metal tools are sterilized in an hospital-grade autoclave.
Varnish Lab is located at 12751 Millennium Drive, Suite 5110 in Runway.
2. Sol Cocina. Stop by Runway’s newest restaurant, Sol Cocina, for a culinary tour through Mexico, with a heavy influence from the Baja region. The large menu highlights fresh, seasonal ingredients and standout dishes include the ceviche and the restaurant’s specialty tacos with fillings like grilled chicken, beer-battered shrimp, spice-roasted butternut squash and deep-fried duck. If you’re in the mood for a margarita, you’ve come to the right place. The menu includes more than 70 premium tequilas and mezcals, which we recommend you enjoy on the beautiful outside patio.
Sol Cocina is located at 12775 W. Millennium Dr., Suite 160 in Runway.
3. New Parks. Playa Vista is known for its outdoor spaces and parks (19 and counting), so wherever you are in the community, you’re bound to come across a place to sit and get some fresh air, while the kids get the opportunity to play. This small pocket park (pictured above) is across the way from Sol Cocina, making it the perfect spot to enjoy the afternoon sun after a large lunch.
4. Barnabus Clothing Co. Lifestyle clothing brand, Barnabus Clothing Co., opened its Playa Vista location on February 26, making it the first clothing retail store to open in Runway. Besides the cool t-shirts and hoodies, what makes this clothier special is that 10% of all sales go to The Living Room International, a nonprofit dedicated to helping those with terminal illnesses in Kenya. Barnabus Clothing Co. is located at 12775 Millennium Drive, Suite 4135 in Runway.
5. N’Ice Cream. After a day exploring Runway, as you head back to the parking structure, drop into N’Ice Cream, a self-serve gelato and sorbet shop that features flavors that are hand-crafted and made with organic milk and fresh fruit. One word of advice, however: since gelato is denser than frozen yogurt, you may want to serve yourself a little less than you normally would at your favorite yogurt shop. A medium-sized container like the one pictured above runs about $11.
6. Coming Soon. While the Runway already is home to Cinemark Theaters, a Whole Foods, Starbucks, Hopdoddy Burger Bar, Lyfe Kitchen, Urban Plates and CVS (just to name a few places), there’s more on the way! Look for openings soon of YogaWorks, Studio MDR and 18|8 Fine Men’s Salon. A Fred Segal location, Cedars-Sinai medical offices and Hal’s Bar & Grill will also eventually be calling this area home.